Fat Thighs

Yup.  The title says it all on this one.  Last week I had someone make a comment about my "fat thighs."  It doesn't matter who the comment came from, but it happened.  I can't say I'm surprised or that I even disagree, but while I tried to smile and play it off - the sting was still there.  Over the past few days I've let the comment stew around in my head and I've gone through several stages of processing my feelings on the comment.


At first, I was disgusted.  I wanted to run and hide in a comfy pair of sweat pants, but that feeling only lasted a few minutes.  Then it turned to anger.  How dare someone make a comment like that?  I guess body shaming isn't all that new or uncommon, but it still doesn't make it right.  Why is it that so many people feel better by tearing others down?  How much more amazing could all of us be if we devoted that energy to building each other up instead?

Then I hit my final emotional stage - joy.  That's right. . .joy.  You want to know what these "fat thighs" can do?  They're currently training for a half marathon.  In fact, my race docket includes a 10K, 10-miler, and 2 half-marathons this year among some other shorter fun runs.  These "fat thighs" chase two busy little boys around the house, the playground, and the neighborhood while we spend quality time playing as a family.  And these "fat thighs" can rock a pair of 4 inch heels.

So ladies, the next time someone makes a comment about "fat thighs" or any other comment that's meant to be body shaming, simply smile, embrace it, and show your awesome!

<mic drop>
Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment