Artemis Fowl Movie Review


Artemis Fowl - Image from Disney+

New movie releases continue to drop despite the closure of movie theaters an the latest one for family movie fans to enjoy is Disney's Artemis Fowl.  Artemis Fowl was scheduled for a theatrical release, had it's date pushed, and then moved to a Disney+ release when COVID-19 sent us into lockdown mode.  This movie has some serious star power for a straight to Disney+ streaming release including Colin Ferrell and Josh Gad in leading roles.  Artemis Fowl also has a built in fan base from the popular children's books.  But would it live up to it's promise?  

Artemis Fowl Movie Review


So, now it's time for my confession.  I didn't finish the book before seeing the movie.  And according to some of my friends like Patty and Tessa, maybe that's a good thing.  In the movie, we meet young Artemis Fowl - his mother has passed and his father travels away from Fowl Manor frequently on mysterious trips.  Young Artemis is a very intelligent and curious boy.  When his father disappears off of his super yacht in the South China Sea, Artemis receives a cryptic phone call demanding a mystical object - the Aculos - as ransom.  Artemis begins formulating a plan to save his father from his captors while also clearing his name a a criminal.  


What follows is a story of trolls, fairies, dwarves, and human lives intersecting into one big adventure.  I'll be honest. . .there were parts of the movie that I was confused about what was happening.  Books and movies with a lot of "fantasy" elements generally aren't among my favorites (I've never been a Harry Potter fan - shocking, right??) and the hodgepodge of characters was difficult for me to follow.  I felt like there were some serious plot holes that movie just glazes over.  For example, when Artemis' dad goes missing and Butler introduces him to the work his dad had been doing with fairies and this whole underground world, it all just clicks for Artemis.  No struggle, no questioning - just straight to work.  It wasn't for me and didn't hold the attention of my kids either who I think couldn't figure out what was going on.

The movie isn't BAD though. . .it's just not something I know I'd rush to watch again.  The bond between Artemis and Holly Short is endearing as is the way that Artemis cares for Butler.  He acts as someone with the soul of someone much older.  Despite the separation between the fairy world and the human world, there is a strong connection between the two and the fairies demonstrate more times than one their care for humanity. Josh Gad is also a highlight in this film. . .I mean, isn't he always?  His character, Mulch Diggums is funny and kept me hanging in when I wasn't sure about where the movie was heading.  Director Kenneth Branagh did a beautiful job visually creating the worlds of both Artemis and the fairies as the colors, scenery, and camera work is very well done.

Overall, I think this was a good call by Disney to release this movie straight to Disney+ instead of pushing the release date again in hopes of a big theatrical release post COVID-19.  The ending of the film certainly leaves it open for more adventures from Artemis to come.  After all, "I'm Artemis Fowl and I'm a criminal mastermind."

Looking for more straight to Disney+ movie releases? Check out Disneynature's Dolphin Reef!


About Artemis Fowl (From Disney+ and Walt Disney Studios)



Disney's "Artemis Fowl," based on the beloved book by Eoin Colfer, is a fantastical, spellbinding adventure that follows the journey of 12-year-old genius Artemis Fowl, a descendant of a long line of criminal masterminds, as he desperately tries to save his father who has been kidnapped.  In order to pay his ransom, Artemis must infiltrate an ancient, underground civilization - the amazingly advanced world of fairies - and bring the kidnapper the Aculos, the fairies' most powerful and coveted magical device.  To locate the elusive object, cunning Artemis concocts a dangerous plan - so dangerous that he ultimately finds himself in a perilous war of wits with the all-powerful fairies.


Follow my blog with Bloglovin
Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment