Avengers: Endgame - Can a Marvel Novice Join the Endgame?

Every great story comes to end and Marvel fans have waited over 20 films to get this one.  If you haven't heard the hype surrounding Avengers Endgame, you were probably destroyed by Thanos last year because this movie is pretty much all the entertainment world has talked about for a while now.


via GIPHY

As my regular readers and friends are aware, I'm new to the Marvel universe.  Prior to October, I had only seen part of Avengers: Infinity War and that was it.  With all of the excitement surrounding Endgame brewing in my Disney circles, I decided to give Marvel a try.  Using the suggestion of my friend Patty, I made an attempt to watch all the Marvel movies prior to Endgame. (Check out her list of the order to watch all the Marvel films prior to Endgame)  I got through three by Christmas.  I wouldn't want to see how Bruce would feel about that. . .


via GIPHY

I enjoyed the movies, but my husband was not a fan and my kids are too little to really get into them so I was trying to sneak them in when no one else was around.  Recognizing that I probably wasn't going to get through all of them, I changed my game plan and decided I would try just to watch the previous three Avengers movies to see what I could pick up before Endgame released.  I also made it to see Captain Marvel in March - you can catch my spoiler-free review here if you missed that one!

Prior to Endgame, here are the Marvel movies I actually watched:

  • Captain America: The First Avenger
  • Iron Man
  • Iron Man 2
  • The Avengers 
  • Avengers: Age of Ultron
  • Avengers: Infinity War
  • Captain Marvel
So can a newbie to the Marvel universe enjoy Endgame?  

Absolutely.  The movie is incredibly well done and you don't have to be an expert in these films to appreciate that.  My husband went to see the movie with me and he only made it through Iron Man 2 on my list above.  He also really enjoyed the film.  I would definitely recommend watching at least the 3 previous Avengers movies before Endgame in order for the storyline to make sense.  While the film picks up immediately following Thanos' famous "snap" at the end of Infinity War, the main action actually takes place five years in the future as all of The Avengers (and the world) learn to adapt to life after half of all living creatures have been destroyed.  With the little background knowledge I had acquired from previous films, I was able to answer a lot of questions my husband threw my way during the film, but not all of them.


Without spoiling the plot or the ending, I'll say this.  I'm glad I had seen Captain America and Iron Man to understand their background stories.  I wish I had seen one of the Thor movies to tell me more about this Asgardian hero and Ant-Man as Scott Lang does play a pretty significant part in this movie.  You'll also notice I have not seen any of the Guardians of the Galaxy films.  While I know enough about the characters from Infinity War to put pieces together, I really didn't know anything about their backstories and there were probably important plot lines for them that were being played out too that completely went over my head.  I think with careful attention in the three previous Avengers films, you can grab enough info about many of the other characters to not be lost, but I know I didn't "get" everything the same way my deeply devoted Marvel friends did in the Endgame.  What this movie definitely did was inspire me to want to go back and play "catch-up" on the previous films.

Regardless of your background knowledge of the Marvel characters, this movie will leave you feeling all the feels.  I found many moments that had me (and the entire theater) laughing out loud.  The humor in the film actually struck me more than I expected. While there were funny moments in previous Avengers films, this one takes the cake in my humble opinion.  I also did sob like a baby during one particular scene - no spoilers though people! 

So let's wrap it up with a quick summary:
  • If you haven't seen ANY Avengers movies previously (aka: my husband) - You'll enjoy the movie for what it is.  There's enough of the previous plot recapped for you in the film to follow along, but you will feel a lot of holes.  The sheer cinematic perfection in this film is enough for movie fans, even if they aren't Marvel fans, to enjoy.  If you have any interest in seeing it, don't let the fact that you haven't been schooled in the past scare you away.
  • If you've ONLY seen the Avengers movies previously (aka: me. . .for the most part) - You'll feel "in the know" with most of the movie and the plot lines that you don't get, you probably won't even realize you're not getting because you don't know they exist.  There will be enough of an emotional attachment to the characters to feel the weight and the emotion of the Endgame.  
  • If you're a DIEHARD Avengers fan (aka: my friends who saw it with us) - You're in for one BIG finish and emotional rollercoaster.  While my husband's biggest complaint with the film was that he thought they could have told the story in way less time, those of you who are Marvel experts will most likely disagree.  The Russo brothers could have told THIS story in less time, but to wrap up everything they did from previous story lines, you need the whole film.
If you're looking for spoiler-free reviews from some die hard Marvel fans, check out the list below.  These lucky ladies got to stroll the red carpet in Los Angeles for the Endgame premiere and share their fangirl perspectives below!


I can't wait to hear what all of you think of Avengers: Endgame! As I'm finishing this post, it's already passed the $1 Billion mark before opening weekend is even concluded. . .I think the people have spoken!

Follow the Endgame on Social Media:
Like us on Facebook: facebook.com/marvelstudios
Follow us on Twitter: @marvelstudios
Instagram: @marvelstudios
#AvengersEndgame



Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment