Higher, Further, Faster - A Captain Marvel Review

As a novice in the Marvel universe (confession: I've only seen 3 Marvel movies prior), I knew just about nothing coming into this movie.  I went out for my birthday weekend to catch Captain Marvel with two of my friends who are Marvel maniacs.  Outside of the information I received from Walt Disney studios prior to the release of the movie, I really didn't know what to expect.  Here's the basics from Disney/Marvel:

Set in the 1990s, Marvel Studios’ CAPTAIN MARVEL is an all-new adventure from a previously unseen period in the history of the Marvel Cinematic Universe that follows the journey of Carol Danvers as she becomes one of the universe’s most powerful heroes. While a galactic war between two alien races reaches Earth, Danvers finds herself and a small cadre of allies at the center of the maelstrom. The film stars Brie Larson, Samuel L. Jackson, Ben Mendelsohn, Djimon Hounsou, Lee Pace, Lashana Lynch, Gemma Chan, Rune Temte, Algenis Perez Soto, Mckenna Grace, with Annette Bening, with Clark Gregg, and Jude Law. Marvel Studios’ CAPTAIN MARVEL is produced by Kevin Feige and directed by Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck. Louis D’Esposito, Victoria Alonso, Jonathan Schwartz, Patricia Whitcher and Stan Lee are the executive producers. The story is by Nicole Perlman and Joe Shrapnel & Anna Waterhouse, and the screenplay is by Anna Boden & Ryan Fleck and Geneva Robertson-Dworet and Jac Schaeffer.

So what really happened? We meet Vers (aka Captain Marvel, aka Carol Danvers - yeah it's a lot) on the planet Hala.  She is part of the Kree Special Forces that is working to defend the universe from infiltration by the Skrulls.  After learning that one of their agents may have been compromised on Torfa, the Kree team deploys to complete a dangerous rescue mission.  Vers is taken by the Skrulls on Torfa and, while in captivity, they try to extract memories from her.  Vers doesn't even remember her life before 6 years ago when she came to Hala, but she becomes confused and overwhelmed by flashbacks and references to Planet C 53.  After an incredible escape, Vers steals a space craft and heads to Planet C 53 where she crash lands into a Blockbuster Video.  On Planet C 53, which we know as Earth, Vers encounters Agent Nick Fury of S.H.I.E.L.D. They then began embarking on a journey to piece together Vers past memories from C 53 while defending Earth from the warfare that is coming between the Skrulls and the Kree.




There was a lot that I really loved about this movie and I'm going to try and share it all without spoiling the plot.  First, y'all know I love to find the big message in movies.  In Captain Marvel, our leading hero learns that you don't always know who to trust because sometimes the information you have believed for as long as you can remember is simply propaganda.  We also learn that the bonds of friends and family are strong despite the trials of time and distance.  Next, I've come up with a new answer to the "What superpower would you like to have" question that people ask sometimes - shape shifting.  It's the superpower of the Skrulls and it's pretty darn cool.  They can take the shape of anything they encounter, right down to the DNA.  I would say I would take Captain Marvel's superpower, which is also downright amazing once you see it in full force, but I still don't fully understand it and would probably be afraid to sneeze that it would end up doing something crazy to me!  I'm also not a cat person, but if I could have a cat like Goose, I may change my mind.

So a big question to answer for my other Marvel novices out there.  Do you need to be an Avenger ace to enjoy and understand this movie?  My answer is a resounding no!  As someone with very little background on Marvel, I felt like the movie was easy to follow and understand.  My friends also agreed saying that beside a few small references - mainly the tesseract - the story stands alone.  From a kid-friendly standpoint, I wasn't really concerned with language or sexual content, but there is lots of violence in line with what you typically see in superhero movies so that's more of a parenting preference as to how young you allow your children to see these types of film.

While I previously have not watched many of the Marvel films, the few that I have seen have simply made me want to watch more and Captain Marvel is no exception!  Stick around during the credits for two additional scenes.  The first one gives a preview look at Avengers: Endgame which opens April 26 and the second features everyone's favorite cat, Goose.

Have you seen Captain Marvel yet?  I'd love to hear your thoughts!  And for more Captain Marvel news and updates, be sure to follow the social media channels below.  Higher, further, faster friends!!

Like CAPTAIN MARVEL on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CaptainMarvelOfficial/

Follow CAPTAIN MARVEL on Twitter: https://twitter.com/captainmarvel

Follow CAPTAIN MARVEL on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/captainmarvelofficial/

Visit the official CAPTAIN MARVEL site here: https://www.marvel.com/movies/captain-marvel

Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment